Midway Plantation

Also known as: Midway
S of Fort Motte off U.S. 601, Fort Motte, South Carolina


Midway Plantation, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov



William Russell Thomson (1761-1807) built the original Midway Plantation, probably ca. 1785, although little of this structure remains. Midway was so named because it was located between Belleville, the family home of William Russell Thomson, and Bellbroughton, owned by Mrs. Thomson’s father. After Thomson’s death the plantation became the property of his son, Charles Robert Thompson. While the house was built much earlier, the present façade was not added until later, ca. 1859. The present Midway is a two-story antebellum frame building with both Greek Revival and Federal influences. The front façade features a pediment and a two-tiered portico with four Tuscan columns on both levels. Each level features a central entranceway with three-paneled sidelights, semi-circular fanlights, and flanking pilasters topped by an entablature. The rear wing and porch were added around 1900. The vestiges of a landscaped garden featuring camellias, magnolias, and cedars surround Midway Plantation. This site is also significant as having been the past residence of prominent figures, particularly from the prominent Thomson family, in the military, political and social history of South Carolina and both Calhoun and Orangeburg counties for more than 170 years. Listed in the National Register May 28, 1976. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1976
Reference number
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Federal
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1750-1799
Significant years
1785; 1859; 1879

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 9, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"