Empire Mine

Also known as: Empire Mine State Historic Park
SE of Grass Valley at 338 E. Empire St., Grass Valley, California

Map 

Street View 

Description 

"The Empire Mine was originally located by George D. Roberts in October 1850. In the spring of 1854, the Empire Mining Company was incorporated and in 1865 new works, including a 30-stamp mill, were erected. In 1869 Wm. B. Bourn, Sr. purchased the Empire, when he died, Wm. B. Bourn, Jr. took over its management. The Empire was in constant operation from 1850 to the late 1950s." - California Historic Landmark No.298

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 9, 1977
Reference number
77000318
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
District
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Extractive facility
Current functions
Museum; Park
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1925-1949
Significant years
ca. 1896; 1899
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 15
Non-contributing buildings: 3
Non-contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • November 6, 2016: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources