Arnoldus Brumby House

Also known as: Brumby-Little House
472 Powder Springs St., Marietta, Georgia

Photos 

This lovely house was built adjacent to the military institute for Colonel Arnoldus V Brumby and his family

Photo taken by pam phillips in October 2015

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The first superintendent of the Georgia Military Institute, Colonel Arnoldus V. Brumby, built this lovely Greek revival-style house in 1851 with the institute adjacent to the house. When Sherman's troops occupied Marietta in 1864, the house was used as a hospital. The institute buildings were burned as the army departed on the "March to the Sea," but the house was spared, as Sherman and Brumby were friends at West Point.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 29, 1977
Reference number
77000417
NR name
Brumby, Arnoldus, House
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1851

Sources