Rev. George B. Hitchcock House

Also known as: Slave House/Underground Railway House
63788 567th Lane, Lewis, Iowa

Map 

Description 

The Rev. Geogre B. Hitchcock House is known for its association with the abolitionist reform movement and as a link in the network that came to be known as the Underground Railroad. The Hitchcock House is an outstanding example of a highly intact Underground Railroad site and its integrity and location represent the diversity of localized efforts in this movement. Its complements such existing National Historic Landmark properties as the Milton House in Wisconsin and the Johnson and LeMoyne houses in Pennsylvania. George B. Hitchcock was prominent among the militant anti-slavery leadership of the Congregational Church mission in western Iowa and it is believed he used his home in Lewis, Iowa, to assist in the safe passage of fugitive slaves through southwestern Iowa on their way east and north to freedom. -- National Historic Landmark statement of significance, February 17, 2006

National Register information 

Note: The following information comes from the NRHP database and has not been verified.
Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 9, 1977
Reference number
77000500
NR name
Hitchcock, Rev. George B., House
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Architecture; Religion; Social History
Levels of significance
Local; National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person; A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1855; 1856
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing objects: 1