Legare-Morgan House

Also known as: Morgan Cottage, Legare House
241 Lauren St., SW, Aiken, South Carolina

Photo 

Legare-Morgan House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Legare house is a small, one-story clapboard structure, the oldest portion of which was probably built ca. 1835. Between ca. 1850 and 1859 it was the home of James Mathewes Legare, noted artist, poet and inventor. Located to the left is a wing consisting of two rooms. This wing was built ca. 1850 by Legare as a studio. Originally a separate building, it was later moved to adjoin the house. Around 1900 to 1910 a balancing wing was added to the right side of the structure. Recently other alterations and additions have been made to the rear: the porch was enclosed and an addition was made to the left side. It was the field of literature that James M. Legare was most widely known. In 1848 he published Orta Undis, and Other Poems, and he contributed both poetry and prose to periodicals. However, Legare was also an imaginative inventor and artist. Legare’s paintings were primarily of landscape and genre scenes. One of his inventions, plastic cotton, could be molded into furniture, frames and decorative moulding. Legare died in 1859. In 1870 his family sold the property to Thomas C. Morgan. Descendants of Mr. Morgan continue to occupy the structure until the time of its nomination. Located to the rear of the property are a stable and a later structure which have been converted into apartments. Listed in the National Register September 22, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 22, 1977
Reference number
77001210
Areas of significance
Art; Literature; Invention
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant year
ca. 1850
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • August 15, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • June 6, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Added "Street View" & "Description"
  • June 6, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller

Sources