Oakland Plantation House

Also known as: Youghall Plantation House
7 mi. N of Charleston Harbor on U.S. 17, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

Photo 

Oakland Plantation House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Oakland Plantation, a clapboard structure with a gambrel roof, is thought to have been built ca. 1750. First known as Youghall Plantation, it was not until the 1850s that it was named Oakland. Oakland Plantation House is an excellent example of the residential form developed by the Dutch colonists in New York and New Jersey in the early 18th century. The few examples which are found in the Southeastern U.S. were usually constructed of brick in response to the damp climate. It is therefore particularly significant that Oakland Plantation is constructed of wood. The structure has a gambrel roof with three front and three rear dormer windows in the original section. The one-and-one-half story dwelling sits on a foundation of brick made from oyster-shell lime. An end chimney is contained within the structure and services fireplaces in the corner of each room. A matching chimney on the other end has been removed. A non-original hip-roofed portico is supported by two Tuscan columns resting on a wooden floor. A kitchen wing with bedroom above was added on the right side of the original structure in the 1920s. Oakland also has the original detached kitchen with double ovens; two smokehouses also remain. An impressive avenue of oaks gives the property its name. Listed in the National Register July 13, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 13, 1977
Reference number
77001218
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1750
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources