Mansfield Plantation

5 mi. N of Georgetown off U.S. 701, Georgetown, South Carolina

Photos 

Mansfield Plantation, Main House-Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Mansfield Plantation was for many years a rice-producing plantation and the plantation itself remains virtually intact. The plantation house, avenue of oaks, and outbuildings together reflect the rice culture. Mansfield can be traced to ca. 1732 when John Green received a royal grant for 500 acres along the Black River. In 1756, Susannah Man purchased the property, thus the name. The house is a single storied, clapboard structure with a medium gable roof, situated on a low brick foundation. The front entrance features two three-paneled doors with sidelights and an elliptical fanlight. Around ca. 1850 the structure was enlarged with symmetrical wings, with further additions occurring in the 1930s. Situated near the house are a former school building and kitchen, which features an exterior double stairway. During the 1930s both structures were brick veneered and remodeled into guest houses. At this same time, a third guest house was built. A rice winnowing house, a threshing mill, six slave cabins, the slave chapel and laundry house remain. The threshing mill was used as late as 1943 and its machinery remains intact. The winnowing house is the only known surviving example of its type in Georgetown County. Listed in the National Register December 6, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 6, 1977
Reference number
77001223
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Processing; Single dwelling; Agricultural fields
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1700-1749; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 11
Non-contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • September 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 8, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources