Tanglewood Plantation

Also known as: Ellison Durant Smith House
SE of Lynchburg on SC 341, Lynchburg, South Carolina

Photos 

Tanglewood Plantation, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Tanglewood Plantation was built by the Rev. William H. Smith (1819-1882) c. 1850. A two-story clapboard structure, Tanglewood was the home of several outstanding South Carolinians who were involved in both religious and political affairs. Among these were Ellison Durant “Cotton Ed” Smith, United States Senator from 1908 to 1944, and Alexander Coke Smith, Bishop of the Methodist Conference from 1902 until 1906. The house is typically Greek Revival in style, featuring a two-story pedimented front portico with symmetrical bays on either side, double entrance on both floors, and interior decorative motifs. The portico is supported by four square columns on freestanding brick piers and is divided into an upper and lower gallery. The house is supported by brick piers, the spaces between which have been filled in with new brick construction. Twin interior chimneys with corbeled caps protrude through the roof at its crest. There are also two exterior chimneys. A two-story projecting wing was added to the west façade in 1915, as well as a kitchen ell alteration to the south (rear) façade. Outbuildings include a pine clapboard kitchen building, a round-cut log constructed smokehouse, and a one-room schoolhouse. Listed in the National Register September 22, 1977. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 22, 1977
Reference number
77001229
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Religion
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Agricultural outbuildings; Agricultural fields
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1850
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • September 22, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo
  • September 22, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources