Browne-Wagner House

245 E. St. Charles St., Brownsville, Texas

Photos 

Browne-Wagner House

1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Bill Engdahl for Hedrich-Blessing, Photographers, February, 1979 DISTANT VIEW FROM SOUTHEAST.

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Browne-Wagner House is an excllent example of Brownsville's turn-of-the-century, detached, two-story brick residences. Built in 1894 by local architect Samuel W. Brooks, the house is designed to take advantage of prevailing winds from the Gulf of Mexico. The house has been connected with several prominent Rio Grande Valley families, including the Brownes, Hallams, Hooks, Raymonds, and Wagners. (National Register, August 22, 1977). -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS TX-3271)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 29, 1977
Reference number
77001430
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Victorian Italianate
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1894
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • September 10, 2017: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources