Appleton, Nathan, Residence

Also known as: Appleton-Parker Houses, Women's City Club
39-40 Beacon St., Boston, Massachusetts

Photos 

Nathan Appleton House

INTERIOR, KITCHEN FIREPLACE WALL

Photo from the Historic American Buildings Survey

View photos at Library of Congress

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Appleton was a pivotal figure in early American commerce and industry. In 1815, acting as agent for the Boston Manufacturing Company, he founded the first textile sales agency, establishing the precedent of separating manufacturing and marketing operations. Dubbed the "Great Manufacturer," Appleton helped shift New England's economy from its former commercial base to an industrial base after the War of 1812. His daughter Frances married Henry Wadsworth Longfellow at this residence. The elegant Beacon Street bowfront, one of twin town houses designed by architect Alexander Parris, was the home of the Women's City Club of Boston from 1914 to the 1990s. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS MA-813)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on December 22, 1977
Reference number
77001541
Areas of significance
Industry; Commerce
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Civic
Periods of significance
1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1825-1849
Significant years
1821; 1861
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • January 31, 2017: New Street View added by Brian Bartlett

Sources