Mulberry Grove

Also known as: Layton Castle
1133 S. Grand St., Monroe, Louisiana

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Layton Castle (1133 South Grand, Monroe, Louisiana) was begun by Henry Bry, a Swiss emigre who had arrived in North Louisiana in 1803. He constructed a raised cottage circa 1814 and named his residence "Mulberry Grove" in deference to the mulberry trees planted for his silk industry. Bry also built a sugar mill, brick kiln, and an extant wine house. John James Audubon resided at the house while painting birds of the region. Two major alterations transformed the appearance of the original raised cottage. Robert Layton constructed the northeast two story wing with a mansard roof circa 1860. Mrs. Eugenia Stubbs Layton began "Layton Castle" in 1910 by encasing the original raised cottage and the 1860 wing with red brick fired on the site. This addition included the tower, gallery, turret, and porte cochere with Romanesque Revival columns. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS LA-1231)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 7, 1978
Reference number
78001434
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1800-1824
Significant years
1814; 1912
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • July 29, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources