LeJeune House

507 E. Main St., New Roads, Louisiana

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Lejeune House was the first home to occupy what is now the town of New Roads which overlooks the Mississippi River's abandon oxbow, False River. The house sits in the shade of the Samson Oak, a 300 year old registered live oak. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places the house takes its name from the second master to live in its massive walls. It was the first home of Francois Samson, the son of a French-born Spanish soldier of the same name dispatched to Ft. Point Coupee. One of Samson's granddaughters married Jean Baptiste Lejeune, and it assumed this name for the family who lived in it continuously until 1978 when it was purchased by Mary Rollinger. The present owner, Jim & Martha Dunsmore, purchased the property in 1983. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS LA-1322)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 28, 1978
Reference number
78001435
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1850

Update Log 

  • August 23, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources