VanDyke-Libby House

Also known as: Libby House, Van Dyke Mansion, Hope Sanitarium, St. Raphael's Hospital
612 Vermillion St., Hastings, Minnesota

Two and a half story, brick, French Second Empire mansion now an apartment building

Photos 

Overview Looking Southwest

Photo taken by J.R. Manning in July 2019

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Mr. William J. Van Dyke built the house in 1867. Van Dyke was a successful lumberman and mill owner. In 1880, he sold the house and his lumber mill to Mr. R.C. Libby, who was in partnership with William Thompson in a sash and molding mill. Thompson built the Thompson-Fasbender house in 1880.

The mansion was converted to Hope Sanitarium in 1914, later called St. Raphael's Hospital. In 1929, the hospital moved to the Thompson-Fasbender Mansion.

The mansion is now an apartment building.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 2, 1978
Reference number
78001533
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1867

Tags 

19th Century (37,545)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1867 (370)
Built during 1860s (3,706)
Dakota County, Minnesota (34)
Hastings, Minnesota (16)
House (27,477)
Limestone (8,192)
Minnesota (1,743)
Private owner (54,396)
Second Empire (1,059)
Victorian (19,697)
William J. VanDyke (1)

Update Log 

  • August 3, 2019: New photos from J.R. Manning
  • August 3, 2019: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status, corrected GPS coordinates, added description, and added photos

Sources