Grove Plantation

SW of Adams Run off SC 174, Adams Run, South Carolina


Grove Plantation, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at


Street View 


The Grove Plantation, a late Federal-style structure featuring polygonal rooms, was built ca. 1828 by George Washington Morris. After Morris’ death ca. 1857, the plantation became the property of John Berkeley Grimball, a planter and member of the South Carolina Senate. The Grove is an excellent example of the later Federal period house in the lowcountry. Basically a raised cottage configuration, the house incorporates unusual feature of polygonal rooms with projecting symmetrical polygonal bays into its plan. Equally refined proportions are found in the slender Doric polygonal columns of the hexastyle piazza, the acanthus leaf embellishments of the mantels, and the dentated moldings of the cornices. Various alterations such as the curved staircase and the enclosed ends of the north piazza have been sympathetic to the original design of the house. The house is surrounded by a large lawn which includes numerous live oaks. Immediately to the east are several outbuildings of an undetermined age which have been converted into residences and guest cottages. Listed in the National Register August 25, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 25, 1978
Reference number
Architectural style
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1828
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4


19th Century (37,781)
Adams Run, South Carolina (5)
Brick (42,462)
Built during 1820s (1,818)
Charleston County, South Carolina (211)
Federal (4,600)
Have Street View (46,146)
House (27,640)
Private owner (54,398)
South Carolina (2,153)
Tin (2,648)

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 15, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller