Lowndes Grove

Also known as: The Grove, Grove Farm
260 St. Margaret St., Charleston, South Carolina


Lowndes Grove, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov


Street View 


Built ca. 1786, Lowndes Grove is a one and one-half story frame structure set upon a raised stucco-over-brick basement. Probably originally built in the Georgian mode, the structure has been altered through the years. Despite these alterations, the structure is valuable architecturally, chronicling various changes in architectural design. At one time the home of U.S. Congressmen William Lowndes, it later played an important role in the South Carolina Interstate and West Indies Exposition of 1901-02. Although the original appearance of the front fašade is not definitely known, the structure probably featured a double portico. This portico appears to have been altered ca. 1830 into the present five-bayed piazza which features Doric columns and balustrades with turned balusters. The lower level of the portico features five Gothic-style bays which were glazed ca. 1900. An entablature surrounds the house and pediment with dentil and modillion blocks. During the 1830s the house was enlarged to the rear. The hipped roof was covered with terra cotta tiles ca. 1920 and features two interior chimneys with corbeled caps. Surrounding the house is a lawn with large trees and a winding drive. Located to the rear of the property is an outbuilding, probably built ca. 1920. Located next to the Ashley River, the acreage is landscaped with numerous live oaks. Listed in the National Register August 30, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 30, 1978
Reference number
Architectural style
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1786
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • August 18, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View"
  • July 23, 2014: New Street View added by Michael Miller