Bonnie Shade

1439 Cherokee Rd., Florence, South Carolina


Bonnie Shade, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at



Bonnie Shade is considered to be the second oldest house located within the city limits of Florence. Built circa 1854, Bonnie Shade predates the incorporation of the city of Florence in 1871. An excellent example of mid-nineteenth century Greek Revival architecture, the structure is also significant for its association with locally prominent individuals. This raised cottage features several interesting architectural elements. These include the pilasters located at its corners, the free-standing columns supporting the pediment and portico, the central projecting dining room on the rear, and the paneled plaster ceiling in the west parlor. Tradition indicates that Bonnie Shade was built by James Alexander Pettigrew on land located on the western edge of his then Darlington County plantation. Pettigrew, a prosperous planter, is said to have constructed the house as a wedding present for his daughter, Anna Eugenia, who married Joseph E. Wingate in 1856. Tradition indicates that Wingate planted many of the shrubs and trees still located on the Bonnie Shade property. In 1895 the Bonnie Shade property passed from the Wingate family to Joseph Woods Brunson and his wife, Jane Melinda Brunson. According to tradition, Jane Melinda Brunson christened the house “Bonnie Shade” in deference to both her Scottish heritage and to the many large trees located on the property. Listed in the National Register November 14, 1978. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 14, 1978
Reference number
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Other architectural type; Raised Cottage
Areas of significance
Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
1854; 1895
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • September 5, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • September 5, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller