McLaurin House

E of Clio on SR 40, Clio, South Carolina

Photo 

McLaurin House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The McLaurin House is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. It was constructed ca. 1880 by John B. McLaurin on the site of an earlier structure. A two-story clapboard frame structure, the house features a truncated hip roof with a balustraded deck. The front façade is dominated by a one-story porch with balustrade and decorative brackets. The center bay projects slightly forward and its doorway features rounded sidelights and transom with ruby colored glass. Symmetrical in plan, the house features such embellishments as multi-bracketed gables and eaves, octagonal bays with crowning balustrades, decorative finials, decorative moldings with diamond motif, and a balustraded widow’s walk. The house is surrounded by a picket fence constructed ca. 1880. There are also several outbuildings of undetermined ages located on the property. Listed in the National Register March 24, 1978 - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1978
Reference number
78002526
Architectural style
Victorian: Italianate
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1880
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 4

Update Log 

  • September 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo

Sources