Thompson-Brown House

Also known as: Cades Cove Museum, Blount County Historical Museum
1005 Tuckleechee Pike, Maryville, Tennessee

Photos 

Thompson brown

Photo taken by pam phillips

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

Thompson-Brown House, included in the National Register of Historic Places and located at 1004 East Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, Tennessee, is one of the oldest two-story, two pen log buildings in East Tennessee. The exact date of construction or who built it has not been pinpointed, but archeologists believe the house was erected in the first quarter of the nineteenth century. William Thompson purchased the land from Thomas Barclay. Thompson is thought to have built or had the house built. Thompson family story tells of the birth of a daughter in the house in 1823. The house is substantial and well built, but the logs are pine rather than the preferred poplar. These logs, which are fifteen inches wide, are joined in a “V-notch” at the corners, and the spaces between the logs were filled with chinking and daubed with plaster containing animal hair. Later, probably in the early 1870's, boards were attached to the house to protect the logs from the weather because it was no longer fashionable for families to live in a log house. Each floor has the twenty-by-twenty foot rooms with wide pine floorboards. A dogtrot or breezeway may originally have connected the two pens, but archeologists think the space was enclosed into a hallway at building or at least every early in the house’s existence. A brick chimney, now reconstructed, stands at each end of the structure. Each of the four rooms had a fireplace for heat. Archeologists have identified three styles of a front porch in the house’s history and at least two kitchens. The earlier kitchen was an “el,” extending back from the westernmost first floor room. A later kitchen occupied half a full-length back porch and was accessed from that same room.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 2, 1978
Reference number
78002574
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
ca. 1820

Sources