Joseph Fischer House

Also known as: Fischer-Hanlon House
135 G St., Benicia, California

Photos 

Sirlin Studios, Photographer August 1977 WEST SIDE AND SOUTH FRONT

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

According to family tradition, this house was originally a frame hotel located on lower First Street. Damaged by fire, it was moved to this site after the property was acquired by Joseph Fischer, a butcher, in 1858. In 1960, the structure was owned by his granddaughters, the Hanlon sisters. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS CA-1889)

"In 1849, Joseph Fisher, a Swiss immigrant, came to Benicia. After joining a butcher partnership, Fischer purchased this lot on July 1, 1858 and moved the house, reputed to be an old hotel, onto it. The building, an outstanding example of East Coast Federalist styling, illustrates architectural diffusion during the Gold Rush." - California Historic Landmark No.880

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 24, 1979
Reference number
79000556
NR name
Fischer, Joseph, House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Park
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1850; 1858
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 4
Non-contributing structures: 2

Update Log 

  • March 26, 2019: Updated by Richard Doody: Added historical info
  • May 19, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER

Sources