Brick Victorian mansion, built as a residence and now serving the community as a museum
It was Mr. and Mrs. Parker's home until Mr. Parker's death in 1921. Due to financial difficulties, the house and all its contents were sold at auction in 1926.
The house was turned over to the City of Parkersburg and was remodeled in 1930 and was used as the public library until 1970. (Note the fire escape and lower level entrance that was added to the original structure. The doghouse style entry was built with red brick that doesn't quite match the original and the fire escape looks strangely out of place.)
Saved from demolition by the Parkersburg Historical Society, the house today serves as a museum and headquarters for the society. According to the museum's website, the house is open for tours on Sundays during the summer.
Visit the museum website for photos of the house in its early days, the elegant interior and samples of the museum's collection of artifacts.
(Parkersburg was devastated by an EF5 tornado on May 8, 2008. One third of the town was completely destroyed. 282 homes, 22 businesses and 37 assisted living facilities were lost. 8 people perished in the tornado, that wreaked havoc for 43 miles to the Buchanan and Blackhawk County lines. Today, almost no trace of the damage can be seen in Parkersburg.)