David Carpenter House

Also known as: Hathaway House, Main Street Stable & Tavern
424 W. Adrian St., Blissfield, Michigan

Map 

Street View 

Description 

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Carpenter House

This Greek Revival mansion was built in 1851 for David Carpenter, one of Lenawee County's most prominent early residents. Born in New York State, he moved to Blissfield in 1838, and became a wealthy farmer and merchant. After his death in 1891, the house served as a private residence until 1960, when it became a restaurant. The building's only major exterior alteration has been the additions of second story wings and porches.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 20, 1979
Reference number
79001163
NR name
Carpenter, David, House
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Restaurant
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1851
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Sources