Edsel and Eleanor Ford House

Also known as: Lakeview, Gaukler Point
1100 Lakeshore Dr., St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Photos 

Oct. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1979 and designated a National Historic Landmark on October 31, 2016.

A Michigan Historical Marker here reads: Edsel Ford, president of the Ford Motor Company for many years, and his wife, Eleanor Clay, completed this 87-acre estate in 1927. Architect Albert Kahn derived the design precedents in Cotswold, England, and many of the materials, including the staircase, paneling, and the fireplaces, were brought from old English homes. Noted landscape architect Jens Jensen developed the grounds. The Fords were collectors of art and antiques, and benefactors of local and national institutions. Edsel was instrumental in the creation of the Ford Foundation in 1936. He died here on May 26, 1943. His wife, who lived here until her death on October 19, 1976, endowed the property and directed it be maintained for public use.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 24, 1979
Reference number
79001164
NR name
Ford, Edsel and Eleanor, House
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Tudor Revival; Other architectural type; "Cotswold" style
Areas of significance
Landscape Architecture; Art; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Museum; Organizational
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant years
1927; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 6
Contributing structures: 1

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2017: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "Description" & "NRHP Status"
  • October 14, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 26, 2012: New Street View added by Rattrak

Sources