Moore-Mann House

1611 Hampton St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Moore-Mann House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Designed by W. B. Smith Whaley and Company, a prominent Columbia architectural and engineering firm, the Moore-Mann House was constructed ca. 1903 for John C. Moore, a dry goods merchant in Columbia. In 1918, the house became the property of Harry and Soloman Rossheim and in 1919 it was transferred to Mrs. Ettie Mann, wife of Morse Mann, who was President of the Mann Electric Company. Significant as an excellent example of the Queen Anne style in Columbia, the Moore-Mann house is characterized by asymmetrical design and plan, bay windows, decorative shingles and an arched entrance. It also is characterized by a one-story veranda featuring turned columns and handsawn gingerbread ornamentation, a wide pediment with both decorative shingles and a tripartite window with pilasters, stained glass windows, a bracketed cornice, a square bay cantilevered on the second floor, and a wide archway with fluted pilasters and molding which shelters the front doorway. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003363
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Professional
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
ca. 1903

Update Log 

  • October 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources