Heslep House

203 Saluda Ave., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Heslep House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Built about 1927, the Heslep-Bernardin House was constructed by J.C. Heslep, a prominent Columbia contractor. The most elaborate of the Spanish Mission Revival style structures in Columbia, the orate two-story stuccoed house features round-headed windows, arches, balconies, sun decks, a square tower, sculptural portal and barrel tile roof. The main entrance is on the left of the house and has an elaborate sculptural surround. The tower features spiral colonettes and combined quatrefoil. The barrel tile roof tops the house, tower, and chimney. Heslep was also contractor for the Richland County Courthouse and the 1925 alterations to the First Presbyterian Church in Columbia. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003378
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Mission/Spanish Revival
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
ca. 1927

Update Log 

  • October 15, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources