Wallace-McGee House

415 Harden St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Wallace-McGee House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Probably the best example of the International Style in Columbia, the Wallace-McGee House was constructed in 1937. The design for the house was based on plans by Edward D. Stone that appeared in Collier’s Magazine on March 28, 1936. Charles A. Wallace, the original owner, purchased these plans for three dollars and W.G. Lyles supervised the construction that was carried out by Wessinger and Stork. The house was sold to Glenn McGee, an architect and interior designer, in 1968. The house features characteristics of the International style: white stuccoed unornamented exterior, large areas of glass, a flat roof and a steel and reinforced concrete structural system. The front façade features a two-car garage topped by as sun deck. An entrance court on the right is enclosed by a stuccoed wall added to the property in 1973. On the rear façade are rows of windows and doors on both stories. All interior rooms are unornamented and painted white. A cellar houses heating equipment and is used for storage. Listed in the National Register March 2, 1979. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 1979
Reference number
79003379
Architectural style
Modern Movement: International Style
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1925-1949
Significant year
1937

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources