Autrey House

1 mi. W of Dubach on LA 152, Dubach, Louisiana

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Abaslom Autrey arrived in the region now known as Lincoln Parish on Christmas Day 1848 and began construction of his log dogtrot house in 1849. The pens are of hewn 4" thick logs with square notches. One stone chimney remains. A second was replaced in brick. Absalom and his wife Elizabeth are buried along with several family members in the family cemetery located to the rear of the dwelling. The house is owned (1989) by the Lincoln Parish Museum and is being restored. -- Historic American Buildings Survey

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on October 20, 1980
Reference number
80001737
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1849

Tags 

19th Century (36,887)
Absalom Autry (1)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1849 (233)
Built during 1840s (2,952)
Dubach, Louisiana (2)
Have Street View (43,292)
House (27,068)
Lincoln Parish, Louisiana (37)
Log (2,299)
Louisiana (1,815)
Private owner (54,396)
Stone (26,162)
Tin (2,648)

Update Log 

  • July 30, 2018: New Street View added by Bill Eichelberger

Sources