Mattoon--Woodrow House

Also known as: Lowder Residence, Ladd-Mattoon House
72 E. North St., Worthington, Ohio

Photos 

Matoon-Woodrow House

Photo taken by Donald K. O'Brien

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

This Federal style brick home, which originally stood on the southwest corner of High and North Streets, was built in the late 1830s for the family of blacksmith Ansel Mattoon. He served as president of the Worthington Anti-Slavery Society and this was reportedly a station on the Underground Railroad. In the mid-1850s, it was the home of Rev. Thomas Woodrow, minister of the Worthington Presbyterian Church.

(from the Worthington Historical Society web site.)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1980
Reference number
80003011
Architectural style
Federal
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant years
1837; 1840

Tags 

19th Century (36,350)
Ansel Mattoon (1)
Brick (42,457)
Built 1837 (196)
Built during 1830s (2,661)
Caleb Ladd (1)
Federal (4,557)
Franklin County, Ohio (361)
Have Street View (34,842)
House (26,793)
Limestone (8,192)
Moved (2,187)
Ohio (5,056)
Private owner (54,396)
Slate (5,715)
Worthington MRA (26)
Worthington, Ohio (29)

Update Log 

  • June 21, 2012: New Street View added by wdzinc
  • May 21, 2012: New photos from Donald K. O'Brien

Sources