McCorkle-Fewell-Long House

639 College Ave., Rock Hill, South Carolina

Photo 

McCorkle-Fewell-Long House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The McCorkle-Fewell-Long House, believed to have been built by Stephen McCorkle prior to 1821, is considered to be one of the oldest remaining residences within the city limits of Rock Hill. The house is significant for its vernacular architecture and for its association with many locally prominent individuals. One previous owner, Alexander Long, played a significant role in the educational advancement of mill workers and their families in the area and is associated with the development of the textile industry in Rock Hill. The McCorkle-Fewell-Long House is a significant example of a local interpretation of the Piedmont farmhouse type that features vernacular influences of the Victorian era. The house was originally a two-story house with a symmetrical rectangular plan; numerous irregular additions have been made to three elevations. Construction is heavy timber frame sheathed with weatherboard and flushboard siding under the front porch. The house was extensively rebuilt ca. 1880, incorporating Victorian elements. Located to the rear of the house is the former carriage house which was constructed ca. 1900. Listed in the National Register August 21, 1980. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on August 21, 1980
Reference number
80003715
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Industry; Education; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1800-1824
Significant years
ca. 1820; 1880; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 28, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources