Allison Plantation

Off SC 40 and SC 60, York, South Carolina

Photo 

Allison Plantation, Right Oblique

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Located in rural York County, Allison Plantation is believed to have been constructed ca. 1860 as a residence for Dr. Robert Turner Allison. It is significant for its association with a locally prominent physician and politician and for its architectural value as an upcountry interpretation of the Greek Revival style. Dr. Allison served three consecutive terms in the South Carolina House of Representatives from 1838 to 1843. In 1852, he was elected as a delegate to the Southern Rights Convention. At the Secession Convention of 1860, Allison served as a delegate from York County and signed the Ordinance of Secession. The Allison Plantation is an architecturally significant example of the Piedmont interpretation of the Greek Revival style, and is reflective of the usage of indigenous building materials and techniques, as well as the adaptations of building design to the demands of the climate. It is a two and a half story frame residence with a two-room one-story frame ell on the building’s northwest elevation. The surroundings include a one-story frame barn, remains of the detached log kitchen, a concrete pedestal for a windmill, a springhouse, smokehouse, and the dilapidated remains of Dr. Allison’s Drugstore. There is also a granite mill, constructed prior to Allison’s death in 1882. Listed in the National Register September 29, 1980. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 29, 1980
Reference number
80003716
Architectural style
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
Areas of significance
Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1860
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 5
Contributing structures: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • October 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" and Imported Photo
  • October 24, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources