Perry McAdow House

4605 Cass Ave., Detroit, Michigan

Photos 

Sept. 2012

Photo taken by Rattrak

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Atttched to this house is a Michigan Historical Marker which reads: First Unitarian Universalist Church

Perry W. McAdow and his wife Clara built this elaborate mansion in 1891. The McAdows, who earned their fortune in the gold mines of Montana lived here from 1891 to 1897. The house continued as a private residence until 1913, when it was sold to the Univeralist congregation. It was used as a temporary church until 1916, when the congregation completed a new church in the former garden to the north. This structure then became the parish house. In 1934 the Univeralist and Unitarian congregations merged acquiring the name, First Unitarian Universalist Church of Detroit. The group uses this structure as a place of meetings and worship for religious liberals. The house, with its notable frescos, paneling, plasterwork and stained glass was listed on The National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 3, 1980
Reference number
80004405
NR name
McAdow, Perry, House
Architectural style
Victorian: Renaissance
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Church related residence
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1891

Tags 

19th Century (37,744)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1891 (685)
Built during 1890s (7,628)
Detroit, Michigan (232)
Have Street View (46,069)
House (27,620)
Martin & Son Scholls (1)
Michigan (1,937)
Private owner (54,398)
Renaissance (1,333)
Sandstone (4,861)
Slate (5,715)
Stone (26,160)
Victorian (19,698)
Wayne County, Michigan (350)

Update Log 

  • October 22, 2012: New photo from Rattrak
  • September 22, 2012: New photo from Rattrak

Sources