Ainsworth E. Blunt House

Also known as: Blunt House
506 S. Thornton Ave., Dalton, Georgia

Photos 

Overview

Photo taken by Eddie Douthitt in July 2010

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Blunt House is the second oldest two story wood home built in Dalton. It was home to Ainsworth Emery Blunt, who was the first Mayor of Dalton and Postmaster. He was born on February 22, 1800 in Amherst, New Hampshire. He taught carpentry, blacksmithing, coopering, and religion to the Cherokee Indians. This Federal style house with late 19th century Victorian features was completed in 1848. In 1864, the Blunt family moved to Illinois and the house was used as a hospital by the Union Army, and at one time was occupied by the Confederates. Following the war, the Blunts returned to Dalton and occupied the house until the death of Mr. Bluntís granddaughter in 1978.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 9, 1980
Reference number
80004460
NR name
Blunt, Ainsworth E., House
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Other architectural type; Federal; Victorian
Areas of significance
Military; Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1825-1849
Significant year
1848

Update Log 

  • August 7, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • July 3, 2010: New photos from Eddie Douthitt

Sources