Cousins House

Also known as: John Elmore House
Nance St. Extension, Newberry, South Carolina

Photo 

Cousin's House

Photo taken by Michael Miller in August 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Constructed ca. 1880 by C.C. “Cam” Davis for John Elmore, this Second Empire residence is a two-story dwelling, originally with a lower façade of weatherboards under a second story shingled mansard. The mansard was recovered with weatherboards when the original shingles required replacement because of deterioration. Other intact Victorian elements of the house are a front and right side wraparound porch having a lattice frieze, turned posts and balustrade. A pedimented projecting entranceway extends from the porch. The house is the only example of the Second Empire style of architecture appearing in the city locality. The high quality of the interior woodwork is typical of “Cam” Davis’s work in Newberry. Listed in the National Register November 26, 1980. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 26, 1980
Reference number
80004473
Architectural style
Victorian: Second Empire
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
ca. 1880

Update Log 

  • August 6, 2018: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 29, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Alternate Name", "Description" & "Street Views" and Imported Photo
  • September 29, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources