Boligee Hill

Also known as: Myrtle Hall, Myrtle Hill
SE of Boligee, Boligee, Alabama

A historic plantation house near Boligee, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

Boligee Hill, now known as Myrtle Hill, is a historic plantation house near Boligee, Alabama. The Boligee Hill plantation was established in 1835 by Dr. John David Means. He had migrated to Alabama from Newberry, South Carolina. Dr. Means had 110 slaves according to the 1850 Greene County census. The house was built in 1840. It was acquired by the Hays family in 1869 and renamed Myrtle Hall for the sweet myrtle growing around it. The property was restored in 2007 by the Beeker family and renamed Myrtle Hill. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 19, 1982 due to its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on February 19, 1982
Reference number
82002014
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Raised Cottage Style
Areas of significance
Exploration/Settlement; Politics/Government; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1825-1849
Significant years
1840; 1867; 1869

Tags 

19th Century (36,929)
Alabama (1,817)
Boligee, Alabama (1)
Brick (42,460)
Built 1840 (329)
Built during 1840s (2,953)
Charles Hays (2)
Greene County, Alabama (35)
House (27,085)
Private owner (54,396)

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources