John W. Elliott House

244 Prairie St., Eutaw, Alabama

A historic house in Eutaw, Alabama.

Map 

Description 

The John W. Elliott House is a historic house in Eutaw, Alabama. The Creole cottage style structure was built in 1850 by Jesse Gibson for John Williams Elliott, a watchmaker and jeweler. Elliott was born in 1814 in Litchfield County, Connecticut. He migrated to Eutaw around 1840. Elliott married Louisa Elizabeth Towner, a teacher and native of Rutland County, Vermont, in 1843. They had three children, all born and raised in Eutaw. Louisa died in 1853. John then married Blanche Smith Chapman, a native of Virginia, in 1858. The Elliott family left Eutaw prior to the outbreak of the American Civil War and relocated to Brooklyn, New York, where John Elliott died in 1888. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR multiple property submission on April 02, 1982, due to its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 1982
Reference number
82002018
NR name
Elliott, John W., House
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Creole Cottage
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant years
1850; 1857; 1920

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources