Dr. Willis Meriwether House

Also known as: Clark-Malone House
243 Wilson Ave., Eutaw, Alabama

A historic vernacular Greek Revival style house in Eutaw, Alabama.

Photos 

Historic American Buildings Survey W. N. Manning, Photographer, April 3, 1934. FRONT VIEW.

Photo taken for the Historic American Buildings Survey

Map 

Description 

The Dr. Willis Meriwether House, also known as the Clark-Malone House, is a historic vernacular Greek Revival style house in Eutaw, Alabama. The house is a two-story wood framed building on a brick foundation, six square box columns span the front portico. It was built in 1856 by Dr. Willis Meriwether. The house was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1934. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR multiple property submission on April 02, 1982, due to its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 1982
Reference number
82002024
NR name
Meriwether, Dr. Willis, House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current functions
Single dwelling; Specialty store
Period of significance
1850-1874
Significant year
1856

Tags 

19th Century (37,820)
Alabama (1,825)
Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR (23)
Brick (42,462)
Built 1856 (348)
Built during 1850s (4,697)
Eutaw, Alabama (30)
Greene County, Alabama (35)
House (27,647)
Moved (2,194)
Private owner (54,398)

Update Log 

  • May 19, 2012: Imported photos from HABS/HAER
  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description

Sources