Asa White House

Also known as: White-McGiffert House
314 Mesopotamia St., Eutaw, Alabama

A historic house in Eutaw, Alabama.



The Asa White House, also known as the White-McGiffert House, is a historic house in Eutaw, Alabama. It was built in 1838 by Asa White, one of Greene County's earliest settlers. Eutaw was established on property owned by Asa White. He conveyed 20 acres (8.1 ha) to the newly established county seat in 1838 for the building of a courthouse, civic buildings, and a commercial district. He then sold residential lots to individuals. His house is a two-story frame building. It was built in the Federal style and later altered with the addition of Greek Revival-influenced details. The house was recorded by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1936. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a part of the Antebellum Homes in Eutaw TR multiple property submission on April 02, 1982, due to its architectural significance.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on April 2, 1982
Reference number
NR name
White, Asa, House
Architectural styles
Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival; Federal
Area of significance
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
Significant year
ca. 1838

Update Log 

  • May 25, 2011: Updated by WillyT: Added description