George B. Douglas House

Also known as: Turner Mortuary East
800 2nd Ave., SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Photos 

Douglas Mansion

Front view of entire property

Photo taken by Dave King

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

1891 George B. Douglas purchases three adjacent Second Avenue lots on which to build a new home. George B. Douglas’ father was one of the founders of Quaker Oats, while he founded the Douglas Starch Works. A few years later, construction begins on the Douglas’ new residence and carriage house. The architect’s identity is not known.

1906 George B. Douglas completes a deal with Caroline Sinclair, owner of Brucemore, to exchange the Douglas mansion for the Brucemore mansion. The Sinclair family eventually moves into 800 Second Avenue. At some point during their tenure here, the Sinclairs have the entire carriage house moved about 40 feet to the east.

1920s After the popularization of the automobile, the 600 and 700 blocks of Second Avenue became known as Auto Alley because of all the car dealerships and service stations located there.

1923 John B. Turner, who established his mortuary business in 1888, and his son David Turner acquire the property from the Sinclairs and being the process of converting it into Turner Mortuary. It opens to the public in 1924 and The Gazette reports Grant Wood “was responsible for the decorating and furnishing of the interior, and the landscaping of the grounds. He not only personally supervised the work, but also did much of it himself.” Wood also designed the iron gates at the front entrance. The brick barn in the rear of the property was converted into a “modern garage, with space for six cars.”

1924 At the suggestion of the Turners, Wood begins to build a studio and residence above the garage. The ability to live rent-free means Wood can eventually give up teaching his job at McKinley High School. The Community Players produce their first play before a tiny audience in Grant Wood’s studio, starting the theater group that leads today’s Theatre Cedar Rapids.

1932 A fire burns part of the studio, injuring Grant, Nan, and their mother. Grant had to replace the original wooden floor with the one that remains today.

1935 John B. Turner dies at the age of 74. Wood moves out of 5 Turner Alley into a home he purchases in Iowa City. Over the next 65 years, the Studio is rented out as an apartment and even boutique on occasion.

1954 David Turner dies.

1972 John Bu. Turner II (son of David Turner) and his wife Happy donate 84 works by Grant Wood to the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art. They make additional gifts through 1983.

1978 Cedar Memorial Funeral Homes, founded by David Linge, purchases Turner Funeral Homes.

1982 The Douglas Mansion and Grant Wood Studio are placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

1983 John B. Turner II dies.

2000 The last tenant moves out of 5 Turner Alley.

2002 The Grant Wood Studio building and related property are donated to the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art.

2004 Grant Wood Studio & Visitor Center opens to the public.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 9, 1982
Reference number
82002628
NR name
Douglas, George B., House
Architectural styles
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival; Other architectural type; Georgian Revival
Areas of significance
Art; Architecture
Level of significance
National
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Mortuary
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1897; 1924
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • May 14, 2013: New photos from Dave King