Seaside Plantation House

Also known as: Locksley Hall
Off SC 174, Edisto Island, South Carolina

Photo 

Seaside Plantation House, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

Seaside Plantation House is located in a rural agricultural setting on Edisto Island. It is the only brick Federal plantation house remaining on the island. William Edings, a planter of sea island cotton, purchased the Seaside Plantation property in 1802; stylistic and structural evidence indicate that the house was built ca. 1810. The Edings were a prominent family of Edisto planters. Edings son, also William, was also a member of the State Legislature from 1856-57. Reelected for a second term in 1858, he died before taking his seat. Architecturally, the two-and-one-half story residence is significant as an example of the Federal style. The house is similar to the Charleston “single” house plan, being one room deep with a long porch across the southeast elevation. The house rests on a raised basement. The central portion of the house is stuccoed brick with frame additions on the first floor. The gable roof now covered with metal originally had cypress shingles. There are two interior end chimneys with corbeled caps and two gabled dormers with gable ends which reflect the boxed cornices of the main house. The interior features Federal decoration on the mantels, chair rails and ceiling molding, but of a simple character. Listed in the National Register January 21, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 21, 1982
Reference number
82003840
Architectural style
Federal
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1800-1824
Significant year
ca. 1810

Update Log 

  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • July 28, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources