East Main Street Historic District

Hursey Dr., E. Main and Craig Sts., Chesterfield, South Carolina

Historic commercial & residential district in Chesterfield, SC

Photos 

Old Chesterfield County Courthouse

Photo taken by Michael Miller

View this photo at panoramio.com

Map 

Description 

Chesterfield’s East Main Street Historic District contains twenty-two properties representing aspects of the development of the town of Chesterfield from ca. 1798 to 1937. The district, though mainly residential, also includes a church, the old Chesterfield Courthouse, the old Chesterfield Jail, the Bank of Chesterfield building and the post office. The Craig Family cemetery, containing graves of members of one of Chesterfield’s founding families, also is included in the district. The district contains some of Chesterfield’s finest architectural expression: the John Craig House, a hall-and-parlor farmhouse with excellent Federal style woodwork; the Chesterfield Courthouse with its Second Empire cupola; and several vernacular residences with Queen Anne and bungalow influence. The Chesterfield Post Office is a brick building designed by notable government architect Louis Simon. The original Chesterfield Courthouse, reputedly burned by General William T. Sherman’s troops in 1865, was the site of one of the state’s earliest secession meetings. A marker on the grounds of the current Chesterfield Courthouse commemorates that meeting. Listed in the National Register May 4, 1982.

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 1982
Reference number
82003847
Architectural style
Mixed architectural types
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899; 1850-1874; 1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849; 1925-1949
Significant years
ca. 1900; 1930
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 20
Contributing sites: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 12

Update Log 

  • October 29, 2013: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Overview"
  • October 29, 2013: New photos from Michael Miller

Related landmarks 

Sources