Dr. Thomas E. Lucas House

716 W. Main St., Chesterfield, South Carolina

Photo 

Dr. Thomas E. Lucas House, Right Oblique

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Dr. Thomas E. Lucas House is a two-story frame house built ca. 1868. The house has a central-hall plan, a three-bay façade, and a one-story porch across the façade. A medium pitched gable roof is covered with composition shingles. The house has a one-story wing at the rear. The central doorway has four paneled sidelights and a transom. An antebellum smokehouse, a ca. 1885 gazebo (originally used as a hothouse), and several other outbuildings are located on the spacious, tree-shade grounds. The house is associated with Dr. Thomas E. Lucas, a farmer, physician and politician. In 1864 Lucas resigned his position as a lieutenant in Company A in the Fifteenth Battalion, South Carolina Artillery, to serve in the South Carolina House of Representatives. According to Lucas’s granddaughter, Dorothy Cannon Gibbons, the residence was constructed with money Lucas earned as a physician for Union troops stationed in Chesterfield after the Civil War. Tradition also states that former Confederate soldiers returning from the war individually carved the home’s unique interior mantels. This house is representative of the typical residences of the nineteenth century: a two-story, central-hall farmhouse facing the main street with extensive lands around and behind the structure. Listed in the National Register May 4, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 4, 1982
Reference number
82003848
NR name
Lucas, Dr. Thomas E., House
Architectural style
Other architectural type; Central-hall farmhouse
Areas of significance
Architecture; Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant year
ca. 1868
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • July 5, 2017: New Street View added by Michael Miller
  • August 19, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • August 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description"

Sources