Henry Franklin Hendrix House

Also known as: Frank Hendrix House
Hendrix Heights Plantation, Leesville, South Carolina


Henry Franklin Hendrix House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov


Street View 


The Henry Franklin Hendrix House is significant as the finest Neo-Classical mansion in the Leesville community. The house is a two-story weatherboard residence under a pressed shingle metal roof, set on a brick foundation. This house was first built in 1888 by John Andrew Jeter Mitchell, father of Mrs. Henry Franklin Hendrix. In 1907 it was remodeled by Henry Franklin Hendrix as it is today. A central projecting portico, supported by four colossal Ionic columns embellishes the fašade, which is surmounted by a flat roof with a turned balustrade above a molded entablature. Small Ionic columns support the first story porch, which extends beyond the fašade and repeats the portico balustrade. The same balustrade occurs across the width of the second story uncovered porch. H.F. Hendrix was a locally prominent farmer and merchant, who founded and served as president of the Bank of Leesville. He also served as mayor of Leesville. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982. - SCDAH

Demolished to make room for a Taco Bell. The house was offered up for free if the purchaser agreed to move the house. There were no takers.

National Register information 

Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 6, 1982
Reference number
NR name
Hendrix, Henry Franklin, House
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Classical Revival
Areas of significance
Commerce; Politics/Government; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1888; 1907

Update Log 

  • October 30, 2018: Updated by Michael Miller: Updated "Status" & "Description" and Added "Year Lost"
  • September 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 24, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller