Appin

U.S. 15, Bennettsville, South Carolina

Photo 

Appin, Facade-2006

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

Appin was reputedly constructed ca. 1870 for William Sylvester Mowry. The two-story frame central hall farmhouse with modest Victorian ornamentation is significant for its association with its second owner, Charles Spencer McCall, a prominent Marlboro County merchant and local politician. McCall purchased the plantation ca. 1875 and renamed Appin for his ancestral home in Scotland. McCall served with the South Carolina Volunteers and the Hampton Legion in the Civil War from 1862 until the surrender at Appomattox. He returned to Bennettsville to work and soon rose from a lowly clerk to owner of his own establishment. McCall was the vice-president of the Bank of Marlboro in Bennettsville, the president of the Marlboro Cotton Oil Company, and a successful farmer. In addition to his commercial accomplishments, McCall was a member of the Democratic State Executive Committee from 1880-88 and was a delegate to the National Convention in 1880. He was a member of the South Carolina Senate from 1877-1890 and from 1902-1904 and served as mayor of Bennettsville from 1889-1901. Listed in the National Register June 28, 1982; Boundary increase October 3, 2007. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 28, 1982
Reference number
82003894
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant years
ca. 1875; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 3

Update Log 

  • September 26, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • September 26, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources