Taylor House

Also known as: Columbia Museum of Art
1505 Senate St., Columbia, South Carolina

Photo 

Taylor House, Portico Detail

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Taylor House, Columbia’s only remaining turn-of-the-20th century mansion, is associated with the Taylor family whose plantation was selected as the site of the new state capital in the 1790s. In 1908, Thomas Taylor, Jr. hired the Boston architectural firm of Andrews, Jaques and Rantoul to design the Neo-Classical style house. Taylor played a prominent role in the development of early twentieth century Columbia, serving as president of Taylor Manufacturing Company, vice president and secretary of Carolina Glass Company, and the second vice president of Palmetto National Bank and Trust Company. Andrews, Jaques and Rantoul were known for their additions to the Massachusetts State House, the County Courthouse at Worcester, Massachusetts, and the Connecticut School for the Blind at Hartford, Connecticut. In 1950, the Columbia Museum of Art converted the house for use as a museum, altering and enlarging the building by adding three wings. The original portion of the house is a large two-story brick residence with a full basement and attic. All brick is executed in Flemish bond. L-shaped in plan, it features a projecting portico supported by large fluted Corinthian columns of limestone. Originally, the site included a grass terrace, stables, and stable yard. The stables are joined to the main house by the Science Museum wing. Listed in the National Register July 6, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 6, 1982
Reference number
82003903
Areas of significance
Commerce; Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic functions
Single dwelling; Secondary structure
Current function
Museum
Period of significance
1900-1924
Significant year
1908
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2
Non-contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • October 20, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources