Anderson House

227 Oakland Ave., Rock Hill, South Carolina

Photo 

Anderson House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The Anderson House is significant for its association with John Gary Anderson, a key figure in the development of Rock Hill and the co-founder and president of the Anderson Motor Company, one of the few automobile manufacturing companies in the South during the early days of the automotive industry. Anderson was also significant in the field of agriculture for his creation of the Rock Hill Plan for reducing cotton acreage. In addition, the Anderson House is significant for its elaborate Queen Anne design. According to tradition, A. D. Holler, the foremost builder in Rock Hill at the time, built the house in 1898, according to a design published by George F. Barber, a nationally recognized architect from Tennessee who propagated his work in numerous architectural pattern books. It is a two-and-one-half-story frame building with a three-story turret on the north corner of the fašade. A one-story porch wraps around the turret and spans the fašade, with an attached gazebo at the south (left) end. The roof is of slate, with metal crestings. Two brick chimneys with corbelled caps rise above the roof. Listed in the National Register May 13, 1982. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on May 13, 1982
Reference number
82003908
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Industry; Architecture; Agriculture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
A - Event; C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1875-1899
Significant year
1898

Update Log 

  • October 24, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo
  • October 24, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources