Benjamin Blackiston House

Also known as: Deer Park
Off DE 6, Kenton, Delaware

Map 

Description 

Built in the last third of the 18th century, the Blackiston House (also known as Deer Park) is an unusually well documented example of vernacular housing. An 1803 Kent County Orphans Court Return of Valuation describes the dwelling and outbuildings (no longer extant) in detail. Although the dwelling has sustained significant structural deterioration, it otherwise survives with much the same interior finish, and in much the same condition, as the appraisers found it after Benjamin Blackiston's death. The Blackiston House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. -- Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS DE-223)

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 27, 1983
Reference number
83001363
NR name
Blackiston, Benjamin, House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Period of significance
1750-1799
Significant year
ca. 1760

Sources