Smith-Cannon House

Also known as: B.O.V.B. (Big Old Victorian Barn)
106 W. Market St., Timmonsville, South Carolina

Photo 

Smith-Cannon House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Description 

The Smith-Cannon House is located at the end of a tree-lined brick walk on a large, heavily wooded lot. The house was constructed ca. 1897-1900 for Charles Aurelius Smith, prominent government figure as mayor of Timmonsville, member of the state house of representatives, twice lieutenant governor, and governor of South Carolina for five days. Reflecting the Queen Anne style of Victorian era architecture, the Smith-Cannon House has been altered very little. Built on an asymmetrical plan, the house is two stories tall with a full attic and is sheathed in weatherboard. The roof plan is predominantly hip with lateral cross-gables. An outstanding feature of the house is the two-and-one-half story round turret with copper epi, one-over-one, double hung sash windows and small, square windows (with block muntins) in the half story. A one-story, shed roofed porch stretches across the entire fašade, wraps the turret, and extends to form a porte-cochere, which has been incorporated into the porch on the northeast elevation. The Smith-Cannon House features fine detailing including the elaborate mantels, intricately carved frieze in the main parlor, and parquet floors. The house also features unusual round rooms in the turret. Listed in the National Register July 28, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 28, 1983
Reference number
83002195
Architectural style
Victorian: Queen Anne
Areas of significance
Other; Politics/Government; Architecture
Level of significance
State
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction; B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1875-1899
Significant years
1897; 1900
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • September 8, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description", Corrected "GPS Coordinates" and Imported Photo
  • September 8, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller

Sources