John H. Goodwin House

Also known as: Blythe-Goodwin-Hagood House
SC 11 at U.S. 25, Travelers Rest, South Carolina

Photos 

John H. Goodwin House

After restoration

Photo taken by Michael Miller in January 2021

Enlarge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

(Blythe-Goodwin-Hagood House) The John H. Goodwin House is significant as a fine example of a vernacular, upcountry farmhouse with some attempt at refined detail. The property is also important visually as a reminder of the history of the upcountry of South Carolina and, according to tradition, as a stage-stop and store on the old road between Greenville and Asheville. The house is a two-story weatherboarded building with a closed brick foundation, a two-tiered porch across its façade (southeast elevation), and a gabled roof. The earliest portion of the house, comprising the northeast side of the house, is a two-story, single-pen, log building, possibly constructed ca. 1790. The house was substantially enlarged with a two-story braced-frame addition in the early nineteenth century (ca. 1840). An entrance hallway and a large square room added to the south elevation on both stories adapted the plan to the vernacular central hall, single-pile plan (“I-House”). A detached, one-story frame kitchen with a central, stone chimney was built behind the house about this time. Alterations from later periods enclosed one room on the northeast end of the porch and connected the detached kitchen building to the main house. A one-story frame store building constructed in the late nineteenth century is located southwest of the house within the nominated acreage. Listed in the National Register September 8, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on September 8, 1983
Reference number
83002197
NR name
Goodwin, John H., House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1800-1824; 1750-1799; 1825-1849
Significant years
ca. 1790; 1840
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 2

Update Log 

  • January 8, 2021: New photo from Michael Miller
  • January 18, 2017: New photo from Michael Miller
  • September 12, 2014: Photo imported by Michael Miller
  • January 16, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & Updated "GPS Coordinates"

Sources