John Hustis House
N. Ridge St., Hustisford, Wisconsin
John Hustis originally built his house about 150' south of here, facing south to Juneau Street. The house was moved to a rural area in 1916 and the land donated to the city for a park. When the Greater Sinissippi Historical Society took ownership of the house in 1974, it was returned to the original land, albeit a slightly different location.
Photo taken by J.R. Manning April 2017
+43.34679, -88.6015243°20'48" N, 88°36'05" W
"Located in the Hustis Memorial Park (approximately 150' from its original location) and surrounded by a quiet residential neighborhood in the center of Hustisford, the John Hustis house is a two story rectangular frame structure (with shallow one story rear extension) measuring 42' x 22' and sided with basswood clapboards. Built in 1857 by local carpenter Merrit WiltseJ and employing a vernacular Greek Revival style, the house has a gently pitched gabled roof, profiled cornice, and cornice returns. An unornamented frieze board underscores the cornice and thin corner boards frame the structure. The house now rests on a concrete block foundation, and a concrete block chimney (added in 1974) projects slightly above the gable ridge.
"The John Hustis house is historically significant for its fifty-year association with the founder, promoter, and leading citizen of Hustisford, who made this house his permanent home and the center of his mutiferious [sic] business activities from its construction in 1857 until his death in 1907. Beginning with his pioneering land claims in the region (which exceeded 400 acres by 1839), Hustis oversaw the development of the community which bore his name, constructed a dam, sawmill, and grist mill,3 platted the village, and handled its real estate transactions. His frame house (the third but only permanent home he built in the community) is located on land he had originally reserved for himself (approximately 150' west [sic] of its original location) and is today part of a memorial park which commemorates his life. The house remains the only significant structure still associated with his presence in the community and his contribution to its welfare."
Description condensed from National Register of Historic Places Registration Form prepared for the National Park Service. The application, dated November 19, 1982, was prepared by Leonard T. Garfield, Historian, State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
For more about this site, follow the link below to find the document quoted above.
National Register information
- Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on March 10, 1983
- Reference number
- NR name
- Hustis, John, House
- Architectural style
- Mid 19th Century Revival: Exotic Revival
- Areas of significance
- Exploration/Settlement; Social History
- Level of significance
- Evaluation criteria
- B - Person
- Property type
- Historic function
- Single dwelling
- Current function
- Period of significance
- Significant year
- May 7, 2017: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated listing, added description and added photos