John S. Owen House

Also known as: John S. and Cora Owen House
907 Porter Ave., Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Mansion converted to apartments in 1948

Photos 

Overview Looking East-northeast

Photo taken by J.R. Manning July 2018

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

"John S. Owen married Cora Rust, the daughter of a Michigan lumber baron who owned 37,000 acres of land in the Eau Claire area. In 1873, they moved to Eau Claire, where he was initially employed by Henry Putnam, agent for or part owner of much of the best pineland on the Chippewa River.

"Through his connections with Putnam and his position in the Rust family, John S. Owen became one of Eau Claire’s most powerful lumber barons. In 1913-14, Owen donated land along the Chippewa River for a city park, now known as Owen Park.

"This house, Owen’s second residence, was converted to a five family apartment building in 1948. There has been an addition to the north side. Owen’s first residence, a massive brick and frame structure, had been located across the street. A portion of the cedar block driveway leading to its carriage house still remains, although the house itself was demolished, about 1940."

City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on January 28, 1983
Reference number
83003387
NR name
Owen, John S., House
Architectural style
Late 19th and 20th Century Revival: Colonial Revival
Area of significance
Social History
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
B - Person
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Multiple dwelling
Periods of significance
1900-1924; 1925-1949
Significant years
1923; 1939

Update Log 

  • July 19, 2018: Updated by J.R. Manning: Updated status and added photos

Sources