D. D. D. Barr House

Off SC 245, Batesburg, South Carolina

Photo 

D. D. D. Barr House, Facade

South Carolina Department of Archives and History

View this photo at nationalregister.sc.gov

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The D.D.D. Barr House is a ca. 1883 one-story, frame, weatherboarded dwelling, which extends a ca. 1859 rear ell built by James Michael Barr. The ca. 1883 main core of the house has a hip roof covered with metal shingles. A hip-roofed porch with square wood posts and pilasters and a plain balustrade shelters three bays of the five-bay fašade. The bays consist of two nine-over-nine windows flanking a central entrance with transom and sidelights. Triangular window caps surmount door and windows on all elevations. All of the rooms on the interior except for the central hall have been substantially altered. Outbuildings include a twentieth century milk house. A restrained Greek Revival and Victorian era farmhouse, the D.D.D. Barr House illustrates the austerity of postbellum domestic and farm architecture in Lexington County by a family prominent in the Batesburg area. The farm was entered in 1978 as a Century Farm in being in continuous agricultural operation by the same family for 100 years or more by the Pendleton Historic and Recreational Commission. Listed in the National Register November 22, 1983. - SCDAH

National Register information 

Status
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on November 22, 1983
Reference number
83003866
NR name
Barr, D. D. D., House
Area of significance
Architecture
Level of significance
Local
Evaluation criteria
C - Design/Construction
Property type
Building
Historic function
Single dwelling
Current function
Single dwelling
Periods of significance
1875-1899; 1850-1874
Significant years
ca. 1859; 1883
Number of properties
Contributing buildings: 1
Non-contributing buildings: 1

Update Log 

  • September 23, 2014: Updated by Michael Miller: Added "Description" & "Street View" and Imported Photo

Sources